Top Ad unit 728 × 90

Author Interview - Shannon A. Thompson, Author of Minutes Before Sunset


Hi everyone! When I visit the blogs of other authors, I always hope to discover authors who are inspiringly productive -- and one author who surpasses that criteria is Shannon A. Thompson. She's a young writer like myself and has just published a new book called Minutes Before Sunset. I've been following her blog for a while and it's definitely worth subscribing to. So what are you waiting for? Check out this awesome interview! (or else Clint Howard will haunt your dreams!)

Shannon A. Thompson, author of the soon-to-be New York Times bestseller, Minutes Before Sunset.
1. WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO WRITE?
I’ve always loved writing, but my mother was my biggest encouragement. When she suddenly passed away on March 16, 2003, I immediately took my passion for writing seriously. In a way, I keep my mother alive by continuing to write.

In regards to novels, I suffered from night terrors and nightmares as a child, and my mother taught me to cope with them by turning them into stories. My imagination was very vivid, so a part of me couldn’t tell the difference between reality and my dreamland, so, by making up stories, I could make sense of it all.

2. CAN WRITERS CHANGE THE WORLD?
Of course! I think anyone can change the world. It’s one of the more wonderful things about our world today. There’s such an ability to pass information quickly, that children under the age of ten have created million-dollar charities, let alone artists who’ve reached out to millions.

3. WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE BOOK AND WHY?

The Stranger by Albert Camus. I know this may seem strange, because it’s far from the genre I write, but, in regards to reading, I really connected with the protagonist, Meursault, which is sort of ironic considering the overall theme of existentialism. It really challenged my thought process, especially at the young age I read it, but I continue to read it every now and then to remind myself of how much a character’s voice can turn anything into a remarkable and challenging story.

4. WHAT ADVICE DO YOU HAVE FOR NEW AND UP-AND-COMING WRITERS?
Write with passion; succeed with self-discipline.

If I had to expand, I’d explain that you should write for yourself, learn your voice, and master it. Then edit it for your readers and realize that readers allow you to be a writer. In regards to publication, there’s a lot of adjusting that comes with writing, but embrace it. Editing is a form of writing, and these things need to be enjoyed if you’re planning on publication. 

There’s also a lot of personal sacrifice. Be willing to give up a Friday night to follow your dreams. It’s well worth it.

5. IF YOUR BOOK WAS TURNED INTO A MOVIE, WOULD YOU DIRECT IT? IF NOT, WHO WOULD? AND WHO WOULD STAR IN IT?
First, that would be lovely. I’d be very excited and honored to have that experience. However, I wouldn’t direct it, because I'm not a director. I’m a writer. And I would have to do years of research to understand everything that goes behind making a movie, let alone be a director.

Stephen Chbosky, director of The Perks of Being a Wallflower (he also wrote the novel), starring Hermione Granger
When I say this, however, I’d definitely be on set and help as much as I can. I’d want input, and I’d like to be a huge part of the process to make sure the art is transferred correctly, but I wouldn’t be telling someone how to hold the camera. That’s someone else’s art, and I wouldn’t want to take that away from them in the sense that I agreed to allow them interpret my art in their way.

To all aspiring actors and actresses out there: You could star in next year's $300M blockbuster, Minutes Before Sunset, directed by Steven Spielberg
In regards to stars, I’d love it the most if there could be an open casting call. No big star names. I would love to give new actors and actresses an opportunity to put their faces out there.

6. IF YOU WEREN'T A WRITER, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING NOW?
Well, I’m currently a senior at the University of Kansas, so I’d be studying like I am now. If I had a job on top of it, I’d hope it’d be anything to do with reading and writing. (But when I was little my dream was to be Shania Twain. Ha)

In 2001, Shania Twain was voted the Sexiest Vegetarian Alive by PETA, which means a NO to eating meat = a YES to being sexy! :)
7. IF THE WORLD ENDED TOMORROW, WHAT WOULD YOU DO TODAY?
Whew. That’s a deep/dark question. I think it depends if the world is aware. I’d hate to imagine to be aware of something like that, because, if I wanted to romanticize it, I’d say go on a boat or something cheesy like that, but, if the world knew, I doubt I’d be able to do anything but fight, considering many would go insane. (Deep/dark answer for a deep/dark question)

If I’m allowed to romanticize it, however, I’d spend time with my loved ones, including my cat, Bogart (named after my favorite actor, Humphrey Bogart) and my dad and brother.

Tuan:
Thanks for taking the time to be on my blog, Shannon. I can't wait to read your new book.

Shannon's new book, Minutes Before Sunset is now available to purchase on Amazon. The book's about this dude named Eric Welborn who isn't completely human -- so what is he? Half giraffe? Half whale? Half white-faced Saki monkey? You'll have to click the cover to find out. :)


You can connect with Shannon via the links below:

Twitter: @ShanAshleeT23

Thanks for reading!

Feel free to follow me on Twitter:


If you enjoyed reading this, please subscribe to this blog in the top left hand corner.


Until next time, something wonderful awaits!

Author Interview - Shannon A. Thompson, Author of Minutes Before Sunset Reviewed by Unknown on 22:54 Rating: 5
All Rights Reserved by Tuan Ho | The official website of author Tuan Ho © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Theme images by mammuth. Powered by Blogger.